Thursday, September 30, 2010

It was an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny orange and black painted booty...

...that we made this past week. Actually there were more than one attempt. But, this is what you get to see. :)



Just a few posts ago, I showed you my "A Little Batty" paper mache witch boot above. I called it a "mini" boot. Well, today I have TEENY TINY miniature version. And, it's a pair! Finally a pair that match! Sorta. See those two tiny things in the right of the pic above?



My mom was attempting to make some miniature witch boots to go with her curio cabinets that shes been working on. (She already has the hats and spell books down.) And, I'd also coincidentally had a request to try a tiny size version. So, mom and I worked it out and came up with these.



It was all a matter of getting the pattern pieces right. The less we have to fuss with the shape, the better chance we have of them turning out similar. :) These tiny terrors stand about 1 3/4" tall and 1 1/4" long from toe to heel. They're not completely made of paper mache as before, though. This time we had to add in some clay stuff my sister recommended to get the toe curl. We also used the clay to spackle over the tiny holes smoothing it out. The painting was a real challenge. I knew I had shaky hands before this. But I didn't realized just how bad until I started to paint with my one-haired paint brush. I also tried an ultra-finepoint sharpie for some black details. I think I prefer painting the original scale.



It was also a slight pain to lace them, as well. But I managed it without too many curse words. Had to use a fat needle to make the lace holes. And, since the laces were too thick to double over, I had to dip the ends in glue to stiffen them. Then, I could poke them through easily.



I really admire miniature artists who have the patience for the meticulous details they work with. I've heard that all artist have their own scale they work best in. I'm not sure what mine is, but I'm certain it isn't 1/12th. :)

Thanks for lookin'. And, stay tuned. There'll be more frighting footwear to come in the next few weeks!

9 comments:

Atteneri (Halloween Town) said...

Awww the Mini boot is so cute, awesome!!

mieljolie said...

Thank you kindly, Atteneri! :)

faj9778 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

MissingWillow said...

OMG, how awesomely cute are these?! I love them!

mieljolie said...

Ahh, thanks, MissingWillow! Mom helped out a lot with the trial and error on the construction of them.

Mieljolie

Sanschichis said...

J'adorais déjà les grandes bottes, je craque complètement pour les petites! Bravo!!!

mieljolie said...

Merci, Sanschichis!

Mieljolie

Whittaker's Miniatures said...

Id say these are amazing, I Sooooooo need a pair!!! You would definalty sell these and more like them, lots of us have witches shops and I for one havnt seen such cool boots as these!!! Kate xxx

mieljolie said...

Thank you so much, Kate. If I ever recover from my eye strain and shakiness from making these and try some more, I'll let you know. ;) LOL

Mieljolie